Monday, May 7, 2012

How To Make Dividers For Your Page Using Pixlr Editor

One of the things that I discovered during the challenge was there are quite a few people that don't know how to put dividers on their pages and articles. I wrote this article about finding free dividers for your site or hub and many people responded with saying they had always wondered about  how to get these dividers.

One of the things I like best about writing online is the artistic creativity that it offers. There are so many ways you can "pretty up" your page, and there is always more to learn. One thing I learned recently was how to make my own dividers using free software found online. I had read about the process from a couple of talented writers on Hubpages:  GreenLotus  and MissOlive.

At first, I found it very difficult to do, and you can see my first attempts here:

http://prairieprincess.hubpages.com/hub/More-Cute-Plus-Size-Tops-From-Amazon


After quite a time on Hubpages and with doing a fair bit of online pages, things just felt easier. I guess it "clicked" for me. Down below is a divider I recently created for my hub about user names, Why I Call Myself prairieprincess.

I think you will agree that it is quite a bit nicer than my first attempt at divider-making:

This was  a divider I created for Hubpages. The cool feature that Hubpages has is that it will automatically size your divider image to go across the width of the page. In Blogger, because there are all kinds of blogger page widths, you would have to figure out your width and then create it to go across.

To create a customized divider for use in Hubpages and other sites, using Pixlr, do the following steps. This tutorial assumes that you have Pixlr Editor installed on your computer or browser. If you do not, this would probably work in a similar fashion with other programs but I am only familar with Pixlr Editor. 
  1. Upload an image that has the colours you want in your divider into Pixlr. 
  2. If necessary, using the "image size" button, re-size your image so that it is approximately 400-500 pixels in width and height. If the image is already this size, you don't need to resize it. 
  3. Once the image is down to the right size, use your crop button (in your toolbar) and resize the image so your height is 10-30 pixels high, depending on how high you want the divider to be. I think 15 pixels is ideal but try different heights to be sure. 
  4. Save the image to your hard drive. 
  5. To use as divider, simply upload the image to Hubpages, if that is where you are using it, and the tool will automatically size the image to be a divider across the page. 
  6. If you are using the image elsewhere, you will have to figure out the width of your page, which will vary from site to site. 
  7. If the image is not public domain, be sure to attribute your image properly, giving credit where credit is due. 
 Here are some more of my homemade dividers: 





Here is one of my latest creations, as it looks on the page. If you can see, the divider is actually a slice of the kitten: 
http://prairieprincess.hubpages.com/hub/What-Our-Cats-Can-Teach-Us
I hope this is helpful. Please comment if you have any questions or if you do find it useful. I would love to hear from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments nice and kind.